Friday, April 10, 2009

Day 21: Gail-Roby 65 mi

Boy am I glad we got a 32 mi head start on today's ride, instead of having to ride 97 miles. The weather conditions were totally different and I am going to stop relying on AccuWeather. We awoke to a 42F temp. I was too optimistic in expecting a warmup after the sunrise, as it remained overcast until early afternoon. In contrast to the AccuWeather shiney sun predicting sunny and mild, it was overcast and chilly. We had breakfast at McDonalds then were driven back to Gail. Sarah Sharp, the good Samaritan who had let us store our bikes in her garage (erroniously referred to 'Susan' in my earlier blog) had baked several pecan pies last night to send along with us. What generosity! We preceeded out around 9:00 facing a head wind all day, as predicted. I had missjudged and had no leggings or socks (I bike in sandles) and my feet and fingers were numb in the mid-40F temps. We stopped for lunch in Snyder and I was able to get socks and leggings out of the truck. The afternoon's ride was warmer but tedious, but upon arriving at the Baptist church in Roby, the sun was bright and the temp almost 70F. Never-the-less, it was a much harder, longer and slower day just covering 65 miles compared to 103 and my average speed was less than half as as fast as yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there, Rogers! We can see on the map that you are making great progress.

    ReplyDelete